|The Elston Family, and boat, ready for new adventures!|
While Adagio is out of the water it is my chance to do a bunch of projects that are impossible, or nearly impossible to do when the boat is in her slip.
- I installed some new hi-tech underwater LED lights. These things will attract fish and other marine life at night, hopefully making for some very interesting evenings.
- I painted the bottom and changed the color to black, from the previous bright blue. Ablative bottom paint wears off over time. When we see the old blue color showing up it's time for new paint.
- Painted the shafts and props with Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier spray paint. It's good for at least 1 year to keep the props and shafts free of growth.
- I removed the old teak insert on the bow pulpit that was in terrible shape and replaced it with a non-skid marine plastic.
- I had my friend Chuck make me a new aluminum anchor roller that should keep the chain from twisting when retrieving the anchor. When it twists Kathy has to try and lift the anchor by hand (88 pounds, plus some chain weight) and twist it 180 degrees so the anchor is facing the correct direction to come up into it's stowed position. We hope the new roller eliminates this issue.
- I am installing a permanent anchor chain wash-down system with two "nozzles" aimed right at the anchor chain to wash all the mud off automatically. A separate pump will deliver the water to the nozzles. The handheld hose can then just be used to catch the stuff the nozzles didn't get.
- I added some structural fiberglass filler to the bow pulpit to help tie it into the boat hull/deck more firmly. I had to grind the gelcoat off to get to bare fiberglass so it would get a good bond. This should make the bow pulpit more rigid when standing out on the bow.
- I added a 3/4" white stripe down near the waterline to create a visual break between the boot stripe (dark blue) and the bottom paint (black). It makes quite a visual difference.
- I installed line cutters to each shaft which should cut a line (rope) if it tries to get wrapped around the shaft/prop. Sea Shield has a new product on the market that combines a zinc and a line cutter.
- I changed a few through hulls, and serviced a seacock, and several sea strainers.
- I also waxed the entire bow of the boat, which is very difficult to do at the dock. I will wax the rest of the hull back at the dock.
Now some pics showing the projects:
|Before: Adagio with the blue bottom paint.|
|The final look with the new white stripe between the boot stripe and the|
bottom paint. It is much more visually appealing than before.
|New white non-skid starboard. It replaced some|
very worn teak. The new stuff will last forever, and
have great traction. It should also stop a water leak
that I've been chasing for a while.
|A new pop-up cleat at the tip of the bow sprit. This will be used to help|
secure the anchor when in very rough water. You can also see the new
non-skid starboard surface. It is glued (3M 5200) and screwed from the bottom side.
|The scissor lift made much of my work a whole lot easier.|
|Kevin takes the scissor lift for a test drive. The joystick controls forward|
and backward. There is a switch for right and left, and another switch to go
up or down. You have to have your foot on a pedal to make anything happen.
|Adagio in the busy La Conner maritime boatyard.|
|A new "Divers Dream" zinc, and one of the three underwater LED lights. |
They are blue in color. Blue light travels the farthest in the water, and also is reported
to attract fish better than other colors. I can't wait to see them in the water!
|New Lumitec Seablaze X underwater LED lights. Cool :-)|
|Now in the water. Visible even in daylight.|
|But even better at night. I also have LED cockpit lights that|
can be Red, White, or Blue. Here they are in blue to match
the underwater lights.
|Line cutter zinc on the shaft. This is a new product to the market. It is a|
corrosion zinc with a line cutter attached. We will see how long it lasts, and
how well it works. It is 1/10th the cost of a traditional line cutter. Sea Shield brand.
|This zinc was in the water for 1 year. The bolt holes would have been eroded|
almost half way had it not been for the grey paint I applied. This really works.
|Both anchor chain wash down "nozzles". One for the front, one for the back|
of the chain. I'll have some fine tuning of the direction of the water
and perhaps reshaping the tip to change the spray pattern.
|The water jet for the front of the chain. Last year I had La Conner Maritime|
weld that notched stainless piece to the front of the bow roller assembly. It
locks the Rocna anchor in place when it is in the stowed position.
|The water tube for the back of the chain. You can also see the new chain roller.|
|View of one "nozzle" from the top. Ready to wash away|
all that sticky mud we have in the Pacific NW.
|Lots of water hitting the chain. One jet of water from the front and the|
other from the back. It has a dedicated pump just for this system.
I can't wait to test this in a muddy anchorage.