Wednesday, October 18, 2017

October 18, 2017- The adventure begins tomorow

Cindy and I leave tomorrow on our great adventure.  Stay tuned for more updates.

I've been getting a lot of questions about how this trip came to be.  Well, when we were cruising in Mexico we met a very nice couple while anchored at Isla Coronados:

Isla Coronados 2016

We bumped into them many other times after that first meeting, and we even went to their marina/resort in La Paz to watch other boats get loaded onto the freighter, after our boat had been loaded:

La Paz 2016

We spent many fun times with Jerome and Karen in Mexico.  But we went separate directions after that last time in La Paz.  They were heading to the South Pacific on their boat, and we were heading back home.   At some point during our times together in Mexico, I mentioned that if they ever needed help moving the boat, I would love to help.  Well, a few months ago Jerome called me and asked if I was still interested.  "YES" was my reply.  He told me about this trip and I said I was definitely interested, but would have to discuss it with my family that evening, as it meant I would be gone for weeks.  The trip would be Jerome, his friend Paul, and me.  Karen was going to be home in Bow (just 10 miles from our home in La Conner).

That evening I told Kathy, Cindy and Kevin about the possible adventure.  Cindy immediately stated that she wanted to go too!  So, I called Jerome back and asked how he felt about that.  He said "sure, if she wants to go, she can".  Wow, what an amazing opportunity for a 15 year old to see some exotic places, and take on some adult-responsibilities at that same time.  Cindy will be standing watches, and helping with boat duties during our 6-7 day passage from Tonga to New Zealand.  She is VERY excited!

This opportunity meant, however, that Cindy would be missing a large percentage of her second year of high school.  Her schedule has some tough classes like Honor's English, Honors Algebra II, Pre-AP Biology, Astronomy, Health Science, Chemisty, Spanish, and Yoga.  She had to go around to all of her teachers and explain this opportunity in order to get their approval.  They all said she could go, and have given her assignments and homework.  So, she is good to go with school.

For me, it means that I won't be working for weeks, and I will be out of touch with my customers.  I've been telling as many as I can about this trip and I think I've covered all the bases.  I have my phone setup with foreign travel service for a month so my phone should work in Fiji, Tonga, and New Zealand.  But just in case, I will be checking email via wifi in the hotels, and from Jerome's boat.  I hope that I have thought of everything related to work.  It has been a hectic few weeks trying to wrap up loose ends and boat projects for people. I've also been working around the house getting things ready for our departure.

Cindy and I each got a flu shot a few weeks ago, just in case.  Our vaccinations are all still good, from our Mexico trip.  We have quite a selection of over the counter drugs just in case either of us gets sick, injured, or sea sick, etc.  I got a couple of prescriptions filled yesterday just in case I have another bout with either hives or cellulitis, both of which happened to me in Mexico.  Hives I can deal with via antihistamines, but cellulitis can be fatal if not treated with a very specific antibiotic.  I will have that antibiotic with me.

I spoke with Jerome yesterday, and his weather router is now looking into the future for our passage from Tonga to New Zealand.  A weather router is a weather professional that finds appropriate weather for yachts crossing oceans.  He thinks he sees a possible weather window opening up around the 26th.  We arrive in Tonga on the 24th.  In general, the weather is still a bit on the rough side for this passage, as it is  spring in the Southern Hemisphere.  There are storms rolling though just about weekly this time of year.  So, we need to find the right "slot" in that storm train so we can get through relatively unscathed.

Tomorrow we fly to L.A. then hop on the 11.5 hour flight to Fiji.  We will cross the international date line, so even though we leave home on Thursday, we land in Fiji on Saturday morning.  Fiji is 5 hours earlier than us, but a day later.  Tonga and New Zealand are 4 hours earlier than us (and a day later).  We might suffer a little jet-lag the first few days, so we are getting up early today and tomorrow to help adjust a bit ahead of time.

I will post an update when we arrive in Fiji, assuming I find some good wifi,

-Steve




2 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage! Best of all wishes to the entire crew on this most excellent adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary! I see you when we get back.

      -Steve

      Delete