This means our boat isn't getting his great fiberglass and paint work for a week or two. But that means that I suddenly have more time to prep the boat for painting. I can tackle a few other exterior projects if I want to. I did decide to tackle one of them. Where the roof of the cockpit meets the sidewall of the salon there was a very poor looking joint/connection. It was just a bunch of caulk that had been painted over. And guess what, the paint had cracked. So, it looked pretty bad.
|The ceiling join that was just filled with caulk. I've removed the caulk here.|
|Gap filled and ground into a smooth transition|
|The first round of fiber-glassing the joint.|
|Faired into the basic shape with structural fiberglass filler (from Fiberlay).|
I also decided to have two drain tubes installed into the boat deck. Up in the front of boat deck water would collect on each side just above the stairs leading down to the pilothouse. We would always have a puddle there. A big wave and it would come cascading down the stairs. I think we have all soaked our socks at least once with this puddle. So, it's an easy fix right now, just before painting. Sal drilled a hole through the boat, then fiberglassed in a fiberglass tube. This will allow the water to drain out and over the side instead of pooling in this very inconvenient location.
|location of new drain, the red spot at the bottom right.|
|Tube installed, glassed over, ready to be finished.|
|Rain hole basically done. No more puddles!|
|Trying to figure out where to mount stuff on our radar mast.|